Happy 2020! On 1 January 2020 we began the first day of our 31-day copyright challenge.
About the Copyright Challenge
During the month of January, you'll see a new or updated article every day on Copyrightlaws.com as part of our copyright challenge. We started with the basics with our article Copyright 101. It's a primer on intellectual property and specifically focuses on copyright law.
See the list below for articles that are part of the 31-day copyright challenge. We'll update it periodically as we progress through the month.
Articles in the 31-Day Copyright Challenge
Whether you want to learn more about copyright and licensing for your personal projects, enhance your work knowledge and skills, or gain confidence to answer copyright questions, our daily article will provide you with copyright and licensing tips and practical information.
Join in our 31-day copyright challenge by reading them all!
- Copyright 101. This article is a primer on intellectual property and specifically focuses on copyright law.
- 10 Strategies for Institutional Copyright Compliance Pushback. Winning tips on how to make copyright compliance a priority in your organization in 2020.
- 10 Essential Copyright Compliance Tips Every Information Professional Must Know. These simple tips (and slides) will help you keep your copyright infringement risks to a minimum.
- Excuses for Not Getting Copyright Permission. This article has nine excuses/myths for not obtaining copyright permission. Have you heard all of them?
- What Is the Public Domain? Are Creative Commons works in the public domain? What about government works? This primer explains what public domain means and how you can identify what's in the public domain.
- 6 Best Practices for Legally Using Google Images. This article provides essential tips for following copyright rules when using Google Images. You can also download a Copyright Tip Sheet for Using Google Images.
- The International Copyright Symbol. Gain a greater understanding of the purpose and benefits of using the copyright symbol, and learn how to use it too.
- U.S. Versus Canadian Copyright Law: Which has Stronger Copyright Protection? You'll have to decide your answer to this question after reading about similarities and differences in the U.S. and Canadian copyright laws.
- WIPO World Intellectual Property Day: How to Celebrate World IP Day. World IP Day is celebrated each year on 26 April. Read all about the theme and activities you can engage in to promote the 2020 theme, Innovate for a Green Future.
- Moral Rights in U.S. Copyright Law. Learn which moral rights exist in the U.S., and when you should attribute an author and more.
- How to Protect Photos You Post Online. If you or your organization are posting images online, learn how to copyright protect them around the world.
- Copyright Protection in Recipes. Is there copyright protection in recipes? Can you copyright an ingredient list? These are some of the questions answered in this article (a must read for all foodies!)
- Introduction to International Copyright Law. Many copyright issues that appear to be national copyright issues are in fact international copyright issues. Understanding your own country’s copyright laws is most important, but understanding how copyright treaties and international copyright law works is also essential when publishing content or using content online.
- Legally Using Images. Are you using images you found through Google or on Instagram or FaceBook? Read this article to understand the copyright rules of using images you find online.
- Copyright Issues when Publishing Newsletters and Magazines. If you're publishing an online or print newsletter of a magazine, this article will guide you in legally using images and text by freelancers and employees, using internet as well as public domain content, and how to protect your own content.
- A Simple Guide to Copyright for Librarians: 15 Essentials Facts & Tips. This is our most popular downloadable guide. Essential reading for all librarians and information professionals.
- Sharing and Republishing Online Content: 6 Tips for Copyright Compliance. Check for copyright content and learn what you can freely use and when you need to obtain permission before sharing and republishing online content.
- Licensing Policy Sample: Should your Library have a Written Licensing Policy? If you're licensing electronic resources, this article will provide guidance on getting the best terms and conditions in your licenses.
- Copyright Permissions Sample Letter. This article will guide you to obtaining permissions including how to write the best copyright permissions request letter.
- Best Practices to Lower Copyright Risks. This article provides tips for identifying your copyright risks when using third-party content, and keeping those risks to a minimum.
- Are You the Go-To Copyright Person? This article sets out five essential steps and tips to becoming the "go-to" copyright person.
- Who Owns Your Social Media Content? Our guest blogger Adam Weissman sets out a primer on copyright ownership in content you post on social media such as Twitter, Instagram and FaceBook.
- Your Lawyer's Role in Managing Copyright. When do you address a copyright or licensing issue on your own and when do you seek a copyright lawyer? This article discusses this topic and will help you decide what's best in your situation.
- Auditing Your Copyrights. Learn how to audit your copyrights to help you determine how to effectively and legally use copyright works you own and license.
- Copyright in U.S. Government Works. This often confusing topic is clarified in this primer on copyright in U.S. government works.
- Orphan Works in Canada: Unlocatable Copyright Owners. In Canada, if you're unable to locate or identify a copyright owner, you can obtain an unlocatable copyright owner license. This article explains the process.
- Legally Using Images in Presentation Slides. This primer will help you establish best practices for legally using images in presentation slides while minimizing your risks of copyright infringement.
- Creative Commons Licenses: How to Choose the Best CC License. This article provides essential for choosing the best CC license for your online content. And you'll also find our downloadable Creative Commons License Primer.
- Clarifying Misinformation About U.S. Copyright Law. Learn about U.S. copyright law misconceptions.
- A Simple Guide to Fair Use: How To Apply Fair Use to Your Copyright Scenarios. Understanding the ambiguous concept of fair use in U.S. copyright law is essential for anyone who uses copyright-protected materials. This article includes a downloadable guide to fair use.
- A Simple Guide to Licensing Electronic Resources: How To Address Your Licensing Issues with Confidence. This article addresses licensing frustrations, debunks licensing myths and misconceptions, and provides a practical Q&A. It also includes a downloadable tips sheet.
You can return to our 31-Day Copyright Challenge collection of articles anytime you're looking for key information on copyright and licensing issues!
For an in-depth understanding of copyright issues and practical tools and strategies you can customize to meet the particular needs of your organization, consider our online Copyright Leadership Certificate.