Happy World Intellectual Property Day!
World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated each year on 26 April. The 2019 theme is Reach for Gold: IP and Sports. Before you start celebrating, get up to speed on the meaning of intellectual property.
This year’s World Intellectual Property (IP) Day examines the world of sports. It looks at how IP rights, innovation and creativity encourages and protects sports development around the world.
Make World Intellectual Property Day a Copyright Awareness day
Copyrightlaws.com encourages you to celebrate 26 April as a day of copyright awareness and education. Not sure what to do? Below are some suggestions. Remember – each day you can spread copyright awareness and educate others how to protect their content and legally use the content of others!
- Thank a photographer or author for their work
- Discuss downloading (legally!) music with your friends, students or children
- Share a link to an article about legally using online content with a colleague or friend
- Use social media to inform your clients, patrons or audience about World IP Day and remind them about how to legally use third-party content (if you use others’ photos for example, make sure you have permission to do so!)
- Use the #worldipday hashtag in your Facebook and Twitter posts
- Host a discussion group to talk about the innovations that have helped your industry or daily life advance
- View the 32 World IP Day activities suggested by WIPO
- View the 16 questions about World IP Day assembled by WIPO
- Download and share the poster, bookmark, postcard and pictogram that are print-ready and part of WIPO’s social media kit
Need to educate yourself about copyright law and intellectual property before educating others? Register for our Copyright Leadership Certificate program and enhance your copyright knowledge beginning today.