Copyrightlaws.com's primer/refresher course Canadian Copyright Law includes 16 lessons. It's one of the five eTutorials in our Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law. Each lesson provides ...
- Up-to-date fundamentals on the topics listed in the Syllabus below
- A self-marking quiz
- A curated list of online resources for further reading
Register now and start learning right away!
Registration Fee: $179 US
Working on your own schedule in our easy-to-use online learning system, you'll have access to the course materials for eight weeks and can download the lessons for future reference. The expected time to complete this course is 10 to 16 hours.
As always, our personal touch remains a hallmark of our copyright education. We’ll continue to work with you to help you schedule learning time in your busy and perhaps disrupted schedule, and provide extensions where necessary. Our goal remains the same: to encourage and assist you in completing this course.
This is a pivotal time in copyright policy in Canada. Take the time now to understand how copyright works and why it's important to you and your workplace. Canadian Copyright Law will help you keep tabs on:
- The Canadian government’s review of the Copyright Act
- Amendments to the Copyright Act due to the USMCA
- York University v Access Copyright lawsuit
All of Copyrightlaws.com's courses are aimed at empowering nonlawyers to deal with copyright and licensing issues. You'll gain knowledge to help lower risk copyright infringement in your library or organization. See our FAQs on how eTutorials work.
I was a newbie when it came to copyright law, but after completing the Canadian Copyright Law eTutorial I feel more confident in my copyright knowledge. I was looking for a course that would provide a good foundation on copyright law and provide me with reliable information I can refer back to in the future — this course met those expectations. Immediately I was able to apply my better understanding of who owns copyright, what their rights are and how long copyright lasts.— Shannon Holland, Repository/Archives Assistant, British Columbia Institute of Technology (May 2018)
- Understanding intellectual property
- History of Canadian copyright law
- Status of the Canadian Copyright Act review
- Criteria for copyright protection (e.g., originality, fixation)
- How to obtain copyright protection
- How does international copyright protection work?
- What is protected by copyright?
- Who owns copyright?
- The duration of copyright
- Rights protected by copyright
- Digital copyright and electronic rights
- Limitations on rights
- How may rights be exploited?
- How is copyright violated?
- Remedies for the violation of copyright
- Using copyright-protected materials
- A comparison of Canadian and U.S. copyright laws
Benefits of Taking This eTutorial
After taking Canadian Copyright Law you will:
- Be equipped to explain and answer basic questions about Canadian copyright law
- Understand how to apply fair dealing to your situations
- Be able to identify what Canadian copyright law protects and when you need permission to use copyright-protected materials
Terrific course. Lessons are short and easy to fit into my busy day.— Gina Cali, Visual Research
I recommend this course if you’re looking for Canadian Copyright Law in a nutshell. The topics were well organized and I loved the self-marking quizzes. I can now help our IP legal counsel with copyright-related research.— Amra Porobic, Manager, Library Services, Insurance Bureau of Canada
I was expecting a lot of reading in this course [Canadian Copyright Law]; however, the lessons are compact with a lot of information and written for the layperson.— Karen Mah, Head, Information Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta
The e-mail format of the lessons worked for me as I could do them as I was able within a busy schedule. I may take another eTutorial in the near future.— Carolyn R. Wilker, Freelance Editor/Writer
Who Should Enrol in This Course?
- Copyright managers and librarians in all sorts of institutions
- Risk management and compliance professionals
- Publishers, editors, photographers and graphic designers
- Those in for- and nonprofit businesses and organizations concerned about copyright compliance and lowering copyright risks
Contact us if you have any questions about our Canadian Copyright Law course.
What Graduates Say About the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law
See what our graduates say about the certificate program...
The Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law exceeded my expectations. I can now answer clients' questions about copyright with confidence. I liked the email format and that I could learn at my own pace. It was interesting to hear how other professionals in different organizations deal with copyright issues.— Stephanie Joly, Information Management Specialist, Bank of Canada, February 2018
I needed a starting base of information on copyright law and clearing rights. This course was suggested by my association, VRSC, and was an amazing source of information. I am starting from scratch. The procedures and checklists provided in the program are a great way to kick off my new adventure in copyright. For anyone working in or interested in copyright, this program is an eye opener.— Charlotte Grant, Visual Researcher & Design Assistant, February 2018
It was a great course. I really liked how it's broken down into small, daily modules because it makes it easier to retain the information. The quizzes were really helpful because they tested my knowledge on the subject and allowed me to self-assess areas that I needed to brush up on.— Corinne Hope, Library Services Manager, Keyano College, October 2017
The Canadian Copyright Law eTutorial is available on a group basis for 10 or more individuals from the same organization. Contact us for more information.
Looking for a more in-depth review of Canadian and global copyright principles? Would you like
to apply copyright to your everyday copyright and licensing issues without
the assistance of a lawyer? Consider the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law,
the only copyright certificate program in Canada!