- Up-to-date fundamentals on the topics listed in the Syllabus below
- A self-marking quiz and URLs for further reading
This is a pivotal time in copyright policy in Canada. Take the time now to understand how copyright works and why it’s important to you and your workplace by registering for the Canadian Copyright Law eTutorial. You’ll want to keep tabs on:
- The completion of the Canadian government’s review of the Copyright Act
- Amendments to the Copyright Act due to the USMCA
- York University’s appeal to the recent federal court fair dealing decision against them initiated by Access Copyright
Next offering: 1 – 23 May 2019 Register Now!
Fall offering: 14 October to 1 November 2019 Register Now!
All of Copyrightlaws.com’s courses are aimed at empowering nonlawyers to deal with copyright and licensing issues. You’ll gain knowledge to help lower risk copyright infringement in your library or organization. See our FAQs on how eTutorials work.
I was a newbie when it came to copyright law, but after completing the Canadian Copyright Law eTutorial I feel more confident in my copyright knowledge. I was looking for a course that would provide a good foundation on copyright law and provide me with reliable information I can refer back to in the future — this course met those expectations. Immediately I was able to apply my better understanding of who owns copyright, what their rights are and how long copyright lasts.”
— Shannon Holland, Repository/Archives Assistant, British Columbia Institute of Technology (May 2018)
Syllabus for Canadian Copyright Law Course
- Understanding intellectual property
- History of Canadian copyright law
- Criteria for copyright protection (e.g., originality, fixation)
- How to obtain copyright protection
- How does international copyright protection work?
- What is protected by copyright?
- Who owns copyright?
- The duration of copyright
- Rights protected by copyright
- Limitations on rights
- How may rights be exploited?
- How is copyright violated?
- Remedies for the violation of copyright
- Using copyright-protected materials
- A comparison of Canadian and U.S. copyright laws
- Digital copyright and electronic rights
You’ll receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of this eTutorial.
The course content also includes information on the Canadian government’s review of the Copyright Act, as well as updated information on the Access Copyright v. York University appeal.
Benefits of Taking This eTutorial
After taking Canadian Copyright Law you will:
- Be equipped to explain and answer basic questions about Canadian copyright law
- Understand how to apply fair dealing to your situations
- Be able to identify what Canadian copyright law protects and when you need permission to use copyright-protected materials
Testimonials for Canadian Copyright Law
Terrific course. Lessons are short and easy to fit into my busy day.”
— Gina Cali, Visual Research (November 2017)
I recommend this course if you’re looking for Canadian Copyright Law in a nutshell. The topics were well organized and I loved the self-marking quizzes. I can now help our IP legal counsel with copyright-related research.”
— Amra Porobic, Manager, Library Services, Insurance Bureau of Canada (October 2017)
I was expecting a lot of reading in this course [Canadian Copyright Law]; however, the lessons are compact with a lot of information and written for the layperson.
— Karen Mah, Head, Information Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta
The e-mail format of the lessons worked for me as I could do them as I was able within a busy schedule. I may take another eTutorial in the near future.
— Carolyn R. Wilker, Freelance Editor/Writer
Who Should Enrol in the Canadian Copyright Law Course?
- Copyright managers and librarians in all sorts of institutions
- Risk management and compliance professionals
- Publishers, editors, photographers and graphic designers
- Those in for- and nonprofit businesses and organizations concerned about copyright compliance and lowering copyright risks
Contact us if you have any questions about our Canadian Copyright Law course.
What Graduates Say About the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law
The Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law exceeded my expectations. I can now answer clients’ questions about copyright with confidence. I liked the email format and that I could learn at my own pace. It was interesting to hear how other professionals in different organizations deal with copyright issues.
— Stephanie Joly, Information Management Specialist, Bank of Canada, February 2018
The Certificate program met my expectations. I am now able to to answer more complicated copyright questions we receive from our members and licensees, particularly in relation to handling international licensing situations.”
— Marcia Lea, Copyright Agent, Copyright Visual Arts/Droit d’auteur Arts Visuals (CARCC), February 2018
I needed a starting base of information on copyright law and clearing rights. This course was suggested by my association VRSC, and was an amazing source of information. I am starting from scratch. The procedures and checklists provided in the program are a great way to kick off my new adventure in copyright. For anyone working in or interested in copyright, this program is an eye opener.
— Charlotte Grant, Visual Researcher & Design Assistant, February 2018
It was a great course. I really liked how it is broken down into small, daily modules because it makes it easier to retain the information. The quizzes were really helpful because they tested my knowledge on the subject and allowed me to self-assess areas that I needed to brush up on.
— Corinne Hope, Library Services Manager, Keyano College, October 2017
Looking for a more in-depth review of Canadian and global copyright principles? Would you like
to apply copyright to your everyday copyright and licensing issues without
the assistance of a lawyer? Consider the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law,
the only copyright certificate program in Canada!