The Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law is a 12-week program that provides a strong foundation in copyright decision making skills. It’s intended for those new to copyright or those seeking to enhance their current knowledge base. Participants gain a knowledge of copyright principles, with the primary focus on practical skills that can be adapted to individual needs. (Not Canadian? Click to see the Copyright Leadership Certificate.)
*This program offers flexible enrollment. Course materials are distributed over a 12-week period from 17 September to 7 December. Late enrollments are accepted any time until 1 December. Students have an additional eight weeks after 7 December to complete the course requirements.
By participating in Copyrightlaws.com’s Certificate in Canadian Copyright law, you’ll be able to:
- Describe Canadian copyright law principles
- Explain global copyright law on a practical level (and from a Canadian perspective)
- Know when and how to obtain copyright permission
- Provide quick answers about copyright law and licensing content relevant to your organization
- Develop best practices for lowering copyright risks and staying copyright compliant
We’ll work with you to:
- Develop your breadth of knowledge of copyright issues
- Lower your risk of copyright infringement
- Increase your knowledge on when and how to obtain copyright permissions
- Network with other copyright professionals through our virtual forum
- Gain the confidence you need to lead copyright issues in your organization
What Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law Graduates Say
See our list of recent graduates from this copyright leadership program and imagine your name on that list! Here’s what some of them say about the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law.
I loved the Certificate program, it exceeded my expectations. Each tutorial delivered copyright information in an easy-to-understand format and I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of information that we received. After the program, my priority is to revise the copyright portion of our contracts. I will also make a copyright adherence policy for staff and begin staff copyright education. The program has been a very valuable experience for me and has made me feel more secure in managing copyright at work. I definitely recommend the Certificate program to others.
— Nicole Fletcher, Collections Manager, Winnipeg Art Gallery
The Certificate program has done wonders for me in terms of fueling my confidence in my ability to do the job. I will be pushing for a more centralized approach to copyright administration — most immediately the completion of a long-promised database for managing copyright permissions.
— David M.P. Leggett, Library & Copyright Assistant, Northern Lights College
I was able to immediately apply what I learned in the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law program and I have already created a Fair Dealing Policy and Procedure. I am now in the process of creating a Copyright Strategy for our organization.
— Juanita Richardson, The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
The Certificate program and each eTutorial is logical and linear, and the e-lessons are easily (and enjoyably) read and retained. The most value I expect to get is with the overall legality of copyright and how best to develop a personal risk/copyright management plan as it pertains to my photography. For my work, I can see how it has already benefited the School Division as we are reworking our Copyright protocols, policies, and most importantly our Professional Development and communications for our students, educators, and support staff.
— Bradley Hampson, MBA, Assistant Superintendent, Technology, Frontier School Division, Winnipeg
See more testimonials from our Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law graduates.
REGISTER for the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law.
Features of the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law
- Five eTutorials on Canadian and global copyright law **Non-Canadians click here.
- 24/7 access on your computer or mobile device to a private discussion forum moderated by Lesley Ellen Harris
- Exclusive Tools to help you apply copyright law in your enterprise
- Online networking with other copyright professionals
- Reference materials and resources for use after you earn your certificate
- A Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law plaque (for those who achieve 80% or higher on our final quiz)
- A public listing of the certificate holders on Copyrightlaws.com
Canadian Copyright Law Course Descriptions
- Canadian Copyright Law is both a primer and refresher on Canadian copyright law. Its objective overview of Canadian copyright law provides you with a foundation for the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law, applying copyright in your library or organization and the on-going Canadian government review of the Canadian Copyright Act.
- Practical International Copyright provides a practical view of international copyright issues, including giving and obtaining permission when dealing with foreign countries and online works. It provides a practical perspective on relevant global copyright issues from the point-of-view of a Canadian individual or organization.
- Legally Using Images sets out essential information on using third-party content, how permissions work, risk management tips and best practices for legally using images. This eTutorial is applicable to the use of all content, not just images.
- Digital Copyright Management teaches you legal, strategic and practical implications of using, sharing, publishing and re-distributing online and licensed digital content.
- Minimizing Copyright Risks and Organizing Copyright Issues in Your Workplace is an overview of managing the legal use of all types of copyright-protected works. This course brings together elements from the other four courses in this program and leads you toward managing copyright and licensing issues in your workplace.
About the Instructor
Not ready to commit to the Certificate in Canadian Copyright Law? Copyrightlaws.com offers online courses
on various aspects of copyright and licensing, all from a practical perspective.
See our individual subject-specific copyright eTutorials.