Licensing Digital Content is now available in its third edition. This book is a practical guide for librarians and others who license digital content such as databases, periodicals and journals.
We are proud to announce that Copyrightlaws.com CEO Lesley Ellen Harris is the author of Licensing Digital Content: A Practical Guide for Librarians, and it’s third edition is Lesley’s 10th book. Click to purchase this book.
Of the second edition of Licensing Digital Content: A Practical Guide for Librarians, American Reference Books Annual declared, “Lesley Ellen Harris’s book has become the standard for libraries and has yet to have an equal published that is either as useful or as clear.”
Covering the basics of digital licensing for librarians, the new third edition, published by ALA Editions, provides a freshened look at all the key issues as well as updated sample agreement clauses. Giving library professionals and students the understanding and the tools needed to negotiate and organize license agreements, Harris uses a plain-language approach that demystifies the process. Her guide:
- Explains licensing terminology and discusses changes in technology, including developments such as text and data mining
- Points out opportunities for cost savings
- Features many useful tools such as a comprehensive digital license checklist
- Provides sources of additional information on the global aspects of licensing
- Walks readers through educating organizations that have signed license agreements
Table of Contents for Licensing Digital Content
Note to Canadian and Other Non-U.S. Readers
Quick-Starter Tips for a Successful Agreement
- When to License
- Demystifying the Licensing Experience
- Learning the Lingo
- Key Digital Licensing Clauses
- Boilerplate Clauses
- Un-Intimidating Negotiations
- Questions and Answers on Licensing
- Go License!
A. Fair Use–Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act
B. Interlibrary Loan–Section 108 of the U.S. Copyright Act
C. Digital Licensing Clauses Checklist
About the Author
Click to read a sample of Licensing Digital Content: A Practical Guide for Librarians (see right side of the screen).