Copyrightlaws.com was registered as a domain name in 1998 by Lesley Ellen Harris. It has since been a portal for copyright and licensing information for creators, owners, distributors, and consumers of content. Copyrightlaws.com was recently the IP Osgoode Law School Pick of the Week. The relaunch of Copyrightlaws.com was added to WIPO’s world map (see Washington DC) on 26 April 2012 World IP Day.
Lesley is a lawyer, author and educator. She began working in copyright in the summer of 1984 while still a law student. She continues to consult on U.S., Canadian and international copyright and licensing issues. She has written 4 books (9 books if you count new editions), and develops and teaches in-person and online training courses. Follow Lesley on Twitter @Copyrightlaws.
This site has many purposes:
- educate about copyright, licensing and digital property in plain English
- provide free resources including articles and an e-letter on copyright
- promptly answer questions on copyright and licensing asked through this blog
This site also refers you to numerous resources:
- a print/electronic quarterly newsletter
- online and in-person courses
- relevant print and e-books
If you need specific assistance, Lesley can:
- create educational materials for your organization on copyright and licensing
- write custom content including blog posts, newsletter articles, copyright FAQs and more
- develop Copyright Policies and Guidelines (one page policies/guidelines start at $1,500) and Permissions Procedures
- provide private copyright and licensing training, including training-the-trainer
- act as part-time, occasional or temporary in-house Copyright Officer/Manager in your library, school or organization
- undertake copyright audits in order to maximum benefits from your copyrights
- strategize on ensuring legal uses of your content
- consult on copyright compliance measures
- arrange for a private consultation on your specific copyright issues (consultations start at $500 and fee estimates are provided prior to the consultation)
In summary, Copyrightlaws.com is aimed at those who create, access and distribute intellectual property, to help make money, save money, manage copyrights, protect intellectual property, comply with copyright, and mitigate risks.
Copyrightlaws.com takes the “gray areas” and “it depends” out of copyright and ensures practical, strategic, business-like approaches to your copyright needs.
Read, enjoy, think, share your thoughts!