Copyright education is becoming a greater priority in many organizations. As U.S. Register for Copyright Maria Pallante says, knowing about copyright law is a life skill just like reading a map or using GPS. So how do you get the word out about copyright laws and digital licensing? Below are 5 ideas.
- Offer copyright fortune cookies. A simple message can be very effective.
- Watch and discuss a movie about copyright law. One I just watched is The Last Station about Leo Tolstoy’s wife’s efforts to prevent Tolstoy from giving away the copyrights in his works.
- Place a copyright notice on your article, memo or blog. A notice by itself will educate people that copyright exists in your work. Some people believe that any online content is free for the taking and not protected by copyright. Including a copyright symbol and notice may make that person think twice about using your work without permission.
- Understand why copyright education is important. The more you understand about why educating others about copyright is important, the more effective you will be at educating others about copyright. Read: Understanding Copyright – A Life Skill.
- A traditional route is to offer online and in-person seminars. Create your own seminars, hire someone to teach a seminar in your organization, or attend an online or even self-study seminar that is offered by others.