Are you a blogger, newsletter contributor, author or website content creator? If so, this copyright course should be at the top of your list.
Dates: November 10 – 24 (Full schedule)
Instructor: Lesley Ellen Harris of Copyrightlaws.com
Format: Live online sessions, discussion list participation, and independent reading
Please note that CCM800 is offered as part of the Certificate in Copyright Management program offered by SLA, but may be taken à la carte.
What will you learn during Copyright Essentials for Content Creation and Distribution? To start, have you ever asked yourself the following questions?
- How do I license my works for use by others?
- How do I protect my work under copyright?
- Where do I go to get permission to incorporate third-party materials in my blog posts or other publications? And can I change those materials without violating copyright?
You will get the answers to these questions – and more – during the run of this course.
Copyright Essentials for Content Creation and Distribution is a primer on copyright and licensing principles that are of specific interest to authors and publishers. We will explore the relevant copyright and licensing issues for content creators and distributors, and you will learn how to protect and distribute your content domestically and around the world. Topics covered include:
- the unique point of view of authors and publishers
- criteria for copyright protection and what works are protected
- registering copyright works
- using the copyright symbol
- ownership (author, employee, publisher)
- duration of protection
- rights granted to authors and publishers
- moral rights versus economic rights
- permissions for incorporating and adapting third-party works
- fair use/dealing from the author/publisher perspective
- licensing and assigning works to others
- exploiting works
- protecting works online
- copyright infringement and remedies
Here are just a few things people have stated about CCM Courses:
“I thought I knew a lot about copyright; however, every week I learn something new.”
“The combination of live seminars and assigned readings was great for providing information and then reinforcing the concepts.”
“We have built a great network of resources to assist us in our day-to-day work.”
If you are a member of Special Libraries Association (SLA), you can find out about discounts here.
Questions? Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also share in the comments below!
I couldn’t be more excited to learn more about what content you create and how I can help give you the knowledge and tools to protect it. Hope to see you on the 10th!